(scorri a destra)
The library holds books on history of art, including minor arts, fashion, jewellery, photography. Items are on open shelves and fully accessible.
The library is located in the ancient deconsecrated church of Orbatello, which during the 1300s was used as a hospice for women. The library was set up by Roberto Salvini (Firenze 1912-1985), tenured professor of History of Art in Florence from 1956 to 1985. In the the reading named after him, there is his private collection donated by his wife in 1986. It comprises around 5,000 volumes and 20 journal titles.
The History of Art branch consists of:
The entire collection is on open shelves. The ground floor room contains the majority of the material (over 15,000 volumes); journals and books on miniature, minor arts including texts on design, history of costume, textiles, chinaware, jewellery, coins and musical instruments, are located on the first floor.
The documents of the Fondo Salvini, located on the ground floor, are available upon request.
All of the items are normally for reference use only, except for teaching staff and researchers of the University of Florence. Some items are available for overnight or weekend loan. A maximum of two items can be borrowed one hour before closing time and must be returned by 10 am the next business day. Reference books, rare and antique books, maps, atlases, journals and miscellaenous articles are not for loan.
80 seats, of which 8 with power sockets for laptops and 2 with desktop PCs.