Libraries: opening hours and access procedures. Read more
#IoRestoaCasa (Istayhome): remote-access services and resources
External access to the University electronic resources
It is possible to consult resources with restricted access, such as electronic journals and subscription databases, from a location outside the University network using one of the three methods offered: Proxy, Unifi VPN, IDEM/GARR Service.
To use these services, you need to be part of the institutional users of the University of Florence and have the credentials to access online services.
Through these systems, the pages visited have been requested by the University of Florence and not by the computer from which the request actually originates: n this way, it is possible to access the resources reserved to the University filtered by network address (IP address).
To use it, you must configure the Proxy server in your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari...):
- select an address of your choice from:
- port: 8888 (Check the “use the same proxy for all protocols” box)
Through these systems, the pages visited have been requested by the University of Florence and not by the computer from which the request actually originates: in this way it is possible to access the resources reserved to the University filtered by network address (IP address).
- Tutorial: Proxy configuration with Firefox - PDF instructions (Italian)
- Tutorial: Proxy configuration with Chrome for Windows
- Tutorial: Proxy configuration with Chrome for Mac
During proxy browsing, when authentication is required, you must enter your user ID and password (see SIAF Services Authentication Mode in Italian).
To use it, you must download and install the VPN software on your device.
SIAF provides its users with the possibility to connect remotely to the University network through the UniFi VPN service.
The procedure is as follows:
- Set up the proxy on your browser in order to access the intranet links below.
- Download the appropriate VPN client for your workstation operating system:
- Once you have finished downloading, it must be installed and then opened
- At startup, the program will ask you to specify the server (write sslvpn.unifi.it) and enter your student or employee number and password
- Clicking the “connect” button will establish a VPN connection to the University network.
No installation or configuration is required, but it does not allow access to all subscription resources.
IDEM (Identity Management for federated access) is the Italian Federation of Universities and Research bodies for Authentication and Authorization that acts as a link between the publishers, who provide the contents, and the institutions that guarantee the identities of their users.
Access to IDEM services for the users of the University of Florence is made using the same credentials (student or employee number/password) that are normally used to access the online services.
Here are the steps for authentication that may vary depending on the resource:
- connect to the site of the resource you need
- go to the authentication section (login/sign in/accedi)
- Click on the button/logo Idem; if not present, you must select the institutional access option: Institution login, Shibboleth login, login via your institution, etc. [Warning: Never use Athens, OpenAthens login or login with username and password]
- Select the IDEM network that can also be indicated as Italy - IDEM GARR or Italian higher Education & Research and therefore our University (Note: in some cases, the University is identified with the English form “University of Florence” in others in the Italian form)
- enter your credentials in the dialog box that opens up
List of resources (by IDEM/GARR)