The bibliographic exhibition is on display until 31 October at the School of Agriculture, in Piazzale delle Cascine 18, in the Aula Magna hallway
1869-2019: From the Istituto Forestale di Vallombrosa to the collection of the Agriculture Library
To visit the exhibition please ask in the library.
It is a preview of the work of reorganization and cataloging of the Vallombrosa Collection of the Agriculture Library, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the Regio istituto superiore di scienze forestali di Vallombrosa (Royal Higher Institute of Forest Sciences of Vallombrosa), the first national forestry school founded in 1869 in the eponym Abbey.
The library of the Institute of Vallombrosa, until recently dispersed in various locations and in the various offices of the School of Agriculture, has been recently reconstituted and consolidated and it represents the historical roots and the original nucleus of the current Library of Agriculture. It contains ancient and valuable material, various works published in the 16th-18th centuries, many volumes, brochures and technical and scientific treatises of the 18th and 19th centuries of the German-Austrian and French forest schools.
The library was originally curated by Adolfo Di Berenger, first director of the Vallombrosa Institute, considered the founding father of Italian silviculture. Ten years after the foundation of the Forestry School it already contained over 2,500 volumes and 400 booklets. Most of these were donated by the French Forestry Administration, the Ministry of Agriculture and even forest guards and concerned not only silviculture, forest botany and timber industries, but also appraisal, forest economy and hydraulic-forestry arrangements.