The sound of silence. Sento, capisco, apprendo a scuola
(I Hear, I Understand, I Learn at School)
- Installation of a sound-absorbing tunnel, projects and bibliographic exhibition
9 September – 4 October 2019 (hours: Mon-Fri, 10 am - 6.30 pm)
- Conference presenting the results of the UNIFI research on the acoustic quality of school environments
9 September 2019, 3 -6.30 pm (Sala archivi e fondo storico)
Location: Architecture Library - Palazzo San Clemente - Via Micheli 2 - Florence
The book presentation and the exhibition are organised as part of the series of conferences Le Archistorie della biblioteca: presenting books, experiences, projects...
Archistorie were born to rekindle and acknowledge the teaching and activity of Luca De Silva and they want to represent their ideal continuation.
The conference and the exhibition organized at the Architecture Library will present the preliminary results of a research on acoustic quality in school environments, conducted by the Department of Architecture in collaboration with the Departments of Industrial Engineering and Education and Psychology, with the support of the Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze Foundation, the Municipality of Florence and the Manifattura Maiano company. The results will be illustrated in terms of audiology, learning psychology, materials engineering and architecture.
- 3.15 pm - Welcome greetings and presentation of the conference: Simonetta Pagnini (Technology Library Director), Giuseppe De Luca (Deputy Director, Department of Architecture- DIDA), Sara Funaro (Councillor for Education, University and Research, Florence City Council)
- 3.30 pm - The state of the art on acoustic quality standards in schools - Simone Secchi, Fabio Brocchi (Unifi - DIDA)
- 3.45 pm - The relationship between acoustic quality and learning - Lucia Bigozzi, Giulia Vettori (Unifi - Dept. of Education, Languages and Psychology)
- 4.00 pm - The relationship between acoustic quality and perception issues - Benedetta Bianchi (Audiology Centre, Meyer University Hospital)
- 4.15 pm - The issues faced by hearing-impaired pupils - Laura Brogelli (IOPARLO Association)
- 4.30 pm - The integration between architectural space and acoustic correction systems - Antonio Laurìa, Luigi Vessella (Unifi - DIDA)
- 4.45 pm - The relationship between schools and acoustic climate - David Casini (ARPAT)
- 5.00 pm - The acoustic correction interventions in the schools of the Municipality of Florence - Michele Mazzoni (Florence City Council)
- 5.15 pm - The use of polyester fibre for the acoustic correction of environments - Massimiliano Lunardi (Manifattura Maiano)
- 5.30 pm - Debate: moderated by Gianfranco Cellai (Unifi - Dept. of Industrial Engineering-DIEF)
- 6.30 pm - Closing remarks