The collection was established in 1927, thanks to Professor Giovanni Sansone, founder of the Library of the Institute of Mathematics Ulisse Dini, which, in 1999, became the seat of the Sciences Library. The first items in the collection came from the private library of Dini himself and a number of important donations: Finaly-Landau, Edgardo Ciani, Arturo Maroni, Bruto Caldonazzo. In 1963 the Library was eventually set up in its current location.
Besides set books and current specialistic material, the library holds an antique collection: Donazione Toja (in italian) acquired in 1934 and containing rare books dating back to 1600s and 1700s and the Donazione Procissi (in italian), comprising books from the 18th to the 20th century.
There is also an extensive collection of miscellaneous materials and antique collections searchable through the online and card catalogues.
users can retrieve information on most of the books and journals held in the library; for items acquired before 1991 it is advisable to search also the card catalogue.
Special interest collections available online
- 120 seats in the reading room
- 6 desktop PCs for catalogue search and research
- wireless connection
In the lower level there are two group study rooms and a computer room.
Access to bookstacks (BI Biblioteca inferiore, POZZO librario, ST Sala Toja, scaffali esterni, Rooms n. 1, 2 e 3) is restricted to teaching staff and post-graduate students upon request to library staff.
The building has got a special entrance for disabled users: there is also a reserved parking lot beside the library building.